Tuesday 7 April 2009

“Things just work out, they always do” Rathbone, April 2009

A mix of what I've been up to since I last wrote.... enjoy!

Film / Party: On Friday, we all left the office early and went to see a film together. I had no idea that the cinema, the best in KTM apparently, is only 15 minutes walk from my house. I was warned in advance that it would be expensive, yet when there I found out the tickets were the equivalent of 1.50, and the popcorn 35p –so in comparison to the UK – blooming cheap! The film we watched was Hindi with only a little English here and there, funny to watch a film with everyone suddenly bursting into giggles and myself having no clue why! Lets just hope that some English speaking films will be coming soon. After the cinema, the whole youth action team came back to my house, was good to have them over and for them to see where I’m living and what I’m like when out of the office. My tiny kitchen was crammed with people all helping to cook, some even using the floor as another work surface – why not! They really are a great group of people, all of them living by the belief that everyone should feel comfortable to have a go at things as no one will judge them. They even managed to persuade me to play a song or two, not without me going the colour of a beetroot mind you. Strange how some days I can let myself go and don’t mind making a fool of myself, other days I take myself too seriously – am hoping this will change with time!

Lovely weekend: On Saturday I spent the morning sitting on the rooftop of a restaurant in the sunshine writing letters to home and in the evening I went along to my favourite bar for some live jazz, yummy food and great company. The next day I proposed a last min day trip with a friend, he suggested hopping in a taxi and just keeping going until found somewhere that would feel like a complete escape from KTM. So off we went, traveling until we found a small village overlooking the luscious green mountains, perfect. Really doesn’t take long to get out into the country, I should always keep that in mind especially when fancy breathing some fresh air! Have yet another cold, just seems like can’t get rid of the darn things here. In fact…. off to the doctors tomorrow to check it out as was up all night with hot and cold sweats and slightly delirious thoughts, brain has now managed to convince itself I have Malaria so thought best just to get it checked out. Would be the wrong time of year for it I know, but hey once my brain has something in mind it’s hard to think it could be anything otherwise - Will keep you posted on that one!

Weather: Monsoon weather is on the horizon and from the tasters we’ve had these past couple of weeks with thunder, lightening and rain pelting down from all angles … I bloomin’ well love it! Yet have to say, not sure how long the novelty value will last for. For now though, I am thankful that more water = hot showers again + more power, now back to 8 hours a day!! Note to self: Buy some plastic shoes.

Visitors: As volunteers in neighboring countries such as India are unable to get year-long visas, they have to hop over to another country and reapply again a few days later, This means – visitors for me! One friend is coming over at the end of April and another is coming for 2 weeks in May when we will do some traveling together. Can’t wait! Have also just found my friend Rhian will be coming over to visit in August, followed by my brother in Sept. Will break the news to my work tomorrow! Time was going quickly already (only 22 weeks left) and now it will really fly by!

JuJu: JuJu is the social activist/artist I was telling you about in my last blog all those weeks ago. Turns out my friends wanted to spend a week volunteering in Nepal and I thought he’d be the ideal person as he is always looking for extra brain power. He loved having them, and now they are back home he is in touch everyday seeking my help once again. Thing is, I currently have no time and I confess little inclination. I have definitely realized my charitable side has it’s limits, which is terrible when I think about all the things that people manage to do over here and what a generous person he is (he is even painting something just for me as a Nepali New Year gift) so I really shouldn’t complain!

Work - YOAC: Work is consistently up and down, though I am sure that is affected by the mood I wake up in the morning. For example, the other day after a fairly crappy weekend and then a terrible start to the week in work, I questioned what on earth I was doing out here. Some days I feel more self conscious that others, suddenly become aware of the language barriers, whether really helping at all and whether people want me here! I had spent the afternoon in a meeting with Friends of Youth Action, trying to finalize an event we’d been planning for a while, only for them to decide to cancel it…. without even telling me! I know the language is hard, but you’d think someone could have let me know rather than wasting my time. Is typical though, always think I am getting somewhere then find myself back at square one! Didn’t react very well as my patience was already low, in fact…felt so frustrated by it all that left office in tears. At which point I got texts saying the event is back on. Not the result I was hoping for. Tried to explain that they should only go ahead with it if they want to, rather than trying to please the ‘bideshi’ (foreigner). Called in sick the next day and found out later that in my absence they had a team meeting to discuss what had gone wrong and why I had got so upset. In some ways I was touched they did so, in another way I just felt embarrassed by how unprofessional I had been. Over here it is looked down upon to show any kind of emotion in public. Well, think I completely crushed that cultural taboo didn’t I!

Work - Research: A few weeks ago I went on a field trip to the Far-West of Nepal. It was amazing! In just one day I got to see a completely different side of Nepal, from the rickety little plane flying high above the undulating hills, to a rickshaw ride down a ridiculously hot dusty road in the middle of a beautiful old fashioned farming village. The only downside to it all was getting bitten by mosquitoes as the night drew in. Ended up meeting two girls from Bath University doing a 3-month volunteering placement with a rural organization. Will be meeting up with them for dinner once they are back in KTM tomorrow. They were the only western people in that area so think they enjoyed chatting to me and are eagerly awaiting all that the capital city has to offer.

Work - Training: Will be running some training sessions this week as have decided I’ve put them off long enough and the only thing which has been stopping me is that I don’t feel experienced enough. Yet as they always say how they don’t need something perfect, they just want whatever I can offer them, then anything is better than nothing. Have to stop judging myself against UK standards. They are just all so eager to learn, devouring any opportunity like we’d devour a bar of chocolate. I feel very lazy in comparison! Not sure when I’m going to have time to do everything this month, so many different commitments, already feeling anxious about it yet know that from my experience so far that things just work out, they always do. A good thing to try and remember!

And on that positive note, I will wish you lots of love and goodbye for now, H-Bone x

P.s (because I love P.S’s). Thank you for all my mail this month – long letters full of juicy gossip, new music, new clothes, new contact lenses – feel refreshed! Thank you in advance also ma/pa for the package that is to be opened in a few weeks, you’ve made such an effort to make sure it arrives in time. Means a lot!

No comments: